Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Gandalf turns two!

We adopted our cat, Gandalf from the Little Valley RSPCA centre in Exeter back in March. Gandalf was in the centre because his previous family could not afford to pay for an operation that he needed. Gandalf had a UTI that went unnoticed for a while which caused a build up of crystals in his urinary tract – so bad that his kidneys were so infected that he almost died. Gandalf had surgery to remove the build up of crystals in his urethra and luckily, he is in good health and his kidney function has returned to normal. Due to the severity of his condition, he will have to remain on a prescription diet for the rest of his life and have regular check ups at the vet – which is why I imagine he was in the centre for such a long time with the cost and risks involved with his care.
With all this in mind, we still fell for him, hook, line and sinker the moment he strutted into the ‘meeting room’. We picked him up a week later, expecting him to take a very long time to get used to us and his new home (he was a very nervous cat) – but after a couple of hours of sniffing around and finding his hidey holes he was meowing for attention and snuggled up next to us on the sofa.
We know he was born in May 2015, but are not sure of the date - so have picked it ourselves! Yesterday, Gandalf turned two! And like any parents would with their first born (ha!), we have spoiled him! He's unable to have edible treats due to his condition, so our home is in abundance of catnip and scratchy posts!

Thank you for reading! Any other fur families out there? Let me know in the comments box below :)